Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Power of Priesthood Blessings and Modern Miracles

Have you ever received the power of a blessing from someone who holds the Priesthood? Have you ever experienced a modern miracle in your life? Many people have, and yet as a culture we tend to think that such things only happened thousands of years ago. I myself was agnostic/atheistic for much of my adult life. I discounted any stories of blessings and miracles as the imaginings of those who told the tales. And then, over a period of about three years, God taught me that He is not dead. That miracles exist today as much as they ever did. That the power of the priesthood, the authority from God to do His work here on earth among the children of men, is alive and real.

Let me share a quick example of something that happened within the last week;

Last week my wife and her daughter had a very difficult time. Lisa was VERY stressed out and asked for a blessing. Prior to giving her the blessing I knelt down and offered a prayer in which I thanked God for all I had, asked His forgiveness for my sins, and asked Him to allow me to give Lisa the blessing she needed. Prayers work on faith. So, I asked Lisa to then say a prayer. When she was done, I gave her the blessing she had asked for. I don't remember much of what I said in that blessing, but I know that I blessed her that she would be able to relax and get the sleep that she needed and also that she would be protected from harm.

As we lay in bed together, she told me how she had been feeling very uneasy for a few weeks. That she had the impression that something bad would happen at work and that she would be badly hurt. She said that she had the impression of being in terrible pain, hurting all over, and being placed in an ambulance. She surmised that perhaps she was going to have a heart attack or something like that and was surprised by what I had said in the blessing as she had not told me anything about it. She went to sleep and left for work early the next morning.

Friday mornings her work receives a shipment of supplies. The delivery person brought back the frozen goods and stacked them by the 150 gallon hot water heater where Lisa checked them in and put them away in the freezer and cooler. As she was bending over to pick up a box from the floor, the pipe over her head burst. Actually, the seam where it was welded together split apart for about 8 inches, spraying steam and boiling water out under pressure. It burned the wall and sprayed water and steam all over the area were she was standing. And yet, she was unhurt.

She later said that she had heard the noise of the heater starting up, and then the pipe give way, and had felt like she was surrounded by heat. Yet the water went around her and she only received minor burns on her arms. Her shoes and the bottom edge of her pants got wet as well as her arms getting a little water on them, but that was all.

In looking at the security camera video and examining the damage to the walls, etc., the managers and the repair person who came and fixed the pipe could not believe that she had escaped unharmed. It was truly a modern miracle they said. The repair person also pointed out that in over twenty years of working on these systems, this was only the second time that he had ever seen a pipe burst like this and the only time it had ever burst in that spot. Apparently, they actually design them to fail at a specific point if they do fail to minimize damage.

I no longer believe in coincidences. She had had the feeling for some time that something would happen, but not done anything about it. Then, the night before it happened she literally demanded that I give her a blessing. In the blessing, she was promised protection. And the next morning when the pipe burst with her standing directly by it, she was surrounded by a circle of protection that kept her from being harmed. Interestingly, the security video shows her bending over to pick up the box and then a moment later it shows her brushing the water off her arms as she is surrounded by steam with the water cascading out of the pipe, but it does not show the actual moment of the explosion.

God lives. Today. Miracles have not ceased. They happen all around us. Do we see them? There is real power in priesthood blessings. This power and the modern miracles that attend it are among us today. Pray to know the truth and God will in His own time and His own way reveal it to you as He has to me and several others that I know.

No comments: